
Radar | Mar 04,2023
Dec 10 , 2020
Footage has been released by Ethio telecom today depicting what looks like armed forces pushing themselves into the compound of the company’s core office in Meqelle, the seat of Tigray Regional State, on November 4, 2020. In the footage, personnel of Ethio telecom are forced out, and it further shows armed militia turning off the power distribution sources.
Footage from the CCTV, which was functional only until November 4, was shared by the company’s CEO, Frehiwot Tamiru, at a press conference this morning at Skylight Hotel. The findings came after a physical examination of the core site following the federal government resuming control of Meqelle city, according to the CEO.
"We took steps to ascertain security immediately after notification following the law enforcement operations," said Frehiwot. "We weren't able to explain until today."
The region is one of 17 regional classifications under the operational infrastructure of the company outside of Addis Abeba. Communications lines in the regional state were completely cut off following the conflict that broke out between the federal government and Tigray Regional State on November 4, 2020.
Frehiwot also added that the system was turned off completely wit no alarms beforehand and no way to ascertain developments at the site.
“We were confused,” she said. “To have a blackout that put us in a crisis and have no alarms set off.”
The cyberattack has been attempted on multiple government organisations, according to the CEO.
These include denial of service and unauthorized access on educational, media and finance systems among others. Nearly three billion attacks were attempted on a daily average, according to her presentation.
Log sheets from the company show that illegal attempts to infiltrate the system were made on November 8, and attempts were partially successful on November 20, that made telecom services somewhat possible, according to Frehiwot.
Currently the country’s sole telecom operator, Ethio telecom is working with the interim government and security apparatus to restore and repair the infrastructure.
Alamata has full restoration of telecom services, while six other cities like Mai-Kadra and Humera are partially restored. Staff reachability and transmission outage have been mentioned by the CEO as obstacles of restoration so far.
Radar | Mar 04,2023
Fortune News | May 04,2019
Radar | Feb 02,2019
Radar | Oct 19,2024
Fineline | Feb 15,2020
Fortune News | Sep 18,2021
Commentaries | Aug 24,2019
Radar | Jul 24,2023
Fortune News | Apr 22,2023
Fortune News | Jan 23,2019
My Opinion | 126881 Views | Aug 14,2021
My Opinion | 123019 Views | Aug 21,2021
My Opinion | 121179 Views | Sep 10,2021
My Opinion | 119076 Views | Aug 07,2021
Mar 30 , 2025
When the private satellite channel, Ethiopian Broadcasting Service (EBS), aired an em...
Mar 23 , 2025
Getachew Redda, head of the Tigray Interim Regional Administration (TIRA), at least u...
Mar 16 , 2025
Ask anyone about the population of Addis Abeba, and a straightforward answer proves e...
Mar 9 , 2025
Five years ago, 11 non-governmental organisations (NGOs), together with 40 allies acr...